Models Own Mini Glitter Trio: Blizzard, Pink Fizz & Southern Lights

January 07, 2013

I got this gorgeous mini trio by Models Own from asos.com and I just love it! When I saw the swatches of these three I knew I will love them, and I thought you would love them too so I decided to get one set for one of my readers as well! If you would like to win this set and more prizes you can enter the Nailz Craze Stamping Contest and submit your entry.

Models Own Mini Glitter Trio is quite a catch, the bottles contain 6 ml and the size of each bottle itself is surprisingly big. I love that they have all the details on the bottles and from the picture you can actually think that these are full size polishes. One thing I didn't get about this set is that it includes two colors from the new Wonderland collection (Southern Lights and Blizzard) and one color from the Dazzle and Sparkle (Pink Fizz). I think it would make more sense if they replaced Pink Fizz with Northern Lights which is a pink version of Southern Lights. But then again, maybe that's the reason they excluded this one from the set, maybe they are too much alike?

Southern Lights is a purple holographic glitter with slightly purple toned base. The glitters are very dense, and just one coat will be enough if you intend to layer it over a similar color. I applied one coat of Southern Light over Essence Oh My Glitter, but this glitter will be great over darker or lighter shade of purple as well. I might even try it over black or other colors than purple.
The glitters are hexagon and really small, all in the same size. The polish is packed with these beauties and it was quite easy to apply. On top of it I added one coat of Poshe to smooth it out, even though it wasn't too gritty, but it looked a bit dull without the top. It was a bit hard to catch the holo effect on camera but that's old news with holographic nail polish, right? ;) Anyways, I think this is my favorite one from this set.

Blizzard, Pink Fizz, Southern Lights



Shade

Direct Sunlight


Essence Oh My Glitter
Essence Oh My Glitter, 2 coats, Shade

Blizzard is a silver glitter with various shapes and sizes in clear base. There are large silver hexagons and squares, some of them look very dark but they are actually very reflective. There are also these lovely big and small hexagons that I find it hard to describe, but they look blue and quite transparent, and their color changes to various rainbow colors, depending on the light. These are definatly not holo but I don't know how to describe them - in any case, they are beautiful and this is what made me love this polish even more. There are a lot of silver mix of glitters, but this one is different and I really love it. Spreading it evenly on the nail wasn't as hard as I thought, it was actually nice and smooth. I did need to place a few of them to fill some gaps, but I had worse experiences with other glitter polishes than with this one. On mu nails is one coat of Blizzard over Wet n Wild Frence White Creme (2 coats) and one coat of Poshe.

Models Own Blizzard

Models Own Blizzard

Models Own Blizzard
Shade

Models Own Blizzard
Direct Sunlight

Pink Fizz is pink square fine glitter in clear base.This one instantly reminded me of Butter London Rosie Lee even though I don't own this polish. This one is not very unique but still pretty. I layered one coat over Essie Fiji (2 coats), but I think it could look nice layered a few limes without a base color, or over a similar color. This one was hard to work with, it was streaky and I had areas with tons of glitter while other areas were with no glitter at all, and when I tried to pull them with the brush to even them out, they just stuck to the brush and were drugged alone, leaving bald areas. Maybe it wasn't such a disaster, but compared to the other polishes in this set, this was the hardest to work with. The result is pretty though, but again nothing special. It might be more efficient for glitter gradients, so that's another thing I will probably try.

Models Own Pink Fizz

Models Own Pink Fizz

Models Own Pink Fizz
Shade

I was very excited to try the polishes in this set and I can say that overall I really liked it. I think that whoever gets it will enjoy it. These minis are a great way to try these polishes without get the whole bottle, which most of us probably will not finish within out lifetime :) I had a hard time taking the photos since it was gloomy today pretty much all the time, which makes me think I need to get myself a light box so my photos could look like they were taken at the same day, which they were, but since the sun was playing hide and seek with me I had to improvise. So I hope you liked my swatches and the review.

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

  1. love love love the blue!! It is such a pretty periwinkle color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Southern Lights! It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful, the first one is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  4. waw I wanted to see southern light and it's as beautiful as I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummeh!!! Not sure if I want the entire set but I think I definitely need Southern lights in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning glitters! I like Southern Lights best of all, and over lilac it's just breathtaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, these are gorgeous!! what an awesome set :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally worth having them in the collection :)

      Delete
  8. wow blizzard is awesome! great swatches :)

    ReplyDelete